Date:      Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:20:13 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        conrads@cox.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need for explicit ipfw pass rule for 127.0.0.0/8 not documen

If memory serves me right, Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> On 08-Mar-2002 Alan Eldridge wrote:
> >
> > I was forwarded the Mini-HEADS-UP mail. That has *got* to go in the
> > RELNOTES.TXT for 4.5-STABLE. It should go in /usr/src/UPDATING, too.
> > As I understand it, it's not an ipfw change, it's an rc.firewall* change.
> > And if it bites you, you have nothing but intuition to tell you what's
> > wrong, since the dropped packets are not logged.
>
> I don't understand.  This mini-HEADS UP was posted to -stable recently,
> which, since you're running -stable, you *are* subscribed to and do read,
> right?

Well, you're both right.  Yes, Alan should have seen the HEADS UP, but
this change needs to go in the release notes anyways, if for no other
reason than it shouldn't bite 4.6-RELEASE users when the time comes.
I've got some text queued up for my next update of the release notes.

The reason this didn't happen yet is that I somehow missed its
significance, despite that fact that the HEADS UP applies to me and that
I would have gotten bit by this on the next installworld on my home
firewall box.  :-)

Thanks...

Bruce.