Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 15:57:35 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE
Cc:        Vladimir Votiakov <vvot@ais.Berger-Levrault.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD a multithread system?

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE wrote:

> "Vladimir Votiakov" <vvot@ais.Berger-Levrault.fr> writes:
>
>   > Is FreeBSD a multithread system?
>
> BSD is a multi-user, multi-tasking operating system.  Multi-tasking
> means that it can run several processes each in their own protected
> memory space.
>
> When you say multithreading I think of lightweight processes.  FreeBSD
> includes the Posix Threads library, so it is possible to write
> multithreaded programs.  I don't think that a significant number of
> the existing programs that come with FreeBSD is multithreaded,
> though.  (Java comes to mind as an exception.)

I think what he's referring to is the multi-tasking method used by a
certain line of operating systems made by Micro$oft to allow programs
to split their processes apart into separate tasks.  It holds a slight
resemblance to the methodology used in FreeBSD, but it's primitive
and kludgy by comparison and, unlike FreeBSD and due to the a
psuedo-protected mode design, one program can easily over-write
another's memory space (that's how game trainers work).

So to answer the question: I would say FreeBSD isn't a multi-threading
OS for the sole reason of separation from Microsoft paradigms.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available