Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:44:02 +0100
From:      Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
To:        mvh@welkyn.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop short list - and the winner is!

Mike Harding wrote:

> It looks like I'll get a IBM thinkpad T30.  I thank the list for the
> input!  There were a few things that pushed it towards the T30...
>
> - It's supposed to be physically robust, for lots of travel.  I have
> heard things about Dells, etc. have problems with the hinges.
> - It's has a serial port, which I occasionally need to bootstrap systems
> (even my desktop FreeBSD box when X locks up)  I would otherwise
> probably get an X series.

I recently purchased a nice X30, together with an el cheapo USB to RS232
adapter (for something like $25 or so) for the same reasons. I love the box,
it's lightweight, the battery lasts *really* around 4.5 hours, and the 12'1
display is just the right size for 1024x768 resolution. If only RS232 port
is an issue, buy an adapter and go with X30.

Marko