Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 22:24:01 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dan Cross <tenser@spitfire.ecsel.psu.edu>
Cc:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@esys.ca>, Jimbo Bahooli <moke@fools.ecpnet.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail running non-root SUCCESS!

In message <19970109190847.12307.qmail@spitfire.ecsel.psu.edu> Dan Cross writes:
: Perhaps I'm being naive here, but what's the pressure to stick with
: sendmail?  Why not move to a more reliable and efficient MTA, like
: Qmail?

Short answer:
	Because qmail has an insufficient track record to replace a
known workhorse like sendmail with in the base system.  There are
issue with configuration and such with qmail, and the upgrade path for
current users.  However, there is work underway to allow alternative
mailer agents to be used, to allow more testing and experience with
qmail, exim or any of the other replacements.

Heck, you really should look into exim.  There's even a FreeBSD port
of it that is quite good.  Makes virtual domains a breeze (as does
qmail).

Qmail isn't the end all be all of mailers either, but we've had that
flame war here, and it tends to be counter productive.

Warner