Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2015 21:31:34 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jordanhubbard@icloud.com>, "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Rakshith Venkatesh <vrock28@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: CEPH + FreeBSD
References:  <CANw0z%2BVhYCPNWrjByXLf8yO9wA0sc05_8eVJsM-McjcGNU9KQg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BKW7xQrN60kH37hu2Keja60a0huVjAyP6=SQNSrqus2EUMUMA@mail.gmail.com> <CANw0z%2BXrwK=6y%2BLpoiewc_eLDBYB5UZ5XpU6-YP0-K2FKwSa5w@mail.gmail.com> <A19FDEB5-1DEF-4EBF-8E9E-A1AD4688F1AA@icloud.com> <100306673.40344407.1441279047901.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca> <1564D4FA-9BE1-4E37-8E91-F14A009D6B62@icloud.com> <838814506.1858817.1441577912291.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca>

All
 What about leofs. It's in ports has  and s3 obj store and NFS support out o=
f the box

http://www.freshports.org/databases/leofs/
http://leo-project.net

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch@longcount.org

> [...]
>>> so I haven't gotten around to building/testing it, but I do plan to try a=
nd
>>> use
>>> it as a basis for a pNFS server, if I can figure out how to get the FH i=
nfo
>>> out of it.
>>> I'm working on that;-)
>>=20
>> There are at least two distributed (multi-node) object stores for FreeBSD=

>> that I know of.
>>=20
>> One is glusterfs, for which I=E2=80=99m not even really clear on the stat=
us of the
>> ports for.  I don=E2=80=99t see any glusterfs port in the master branch o=
>> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports (or
>> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/tree/branches/2015Q3 for that
>> matter).
>>=20
>> Our FreeNAS ports tree (https://github.com/freenas/ports), in which we ha=
ve a
>> bit more latitude to add and curate our own ports, has both a net/gluster=
fs
>> and sysutils/glusterfs, from separate sources (looks like we need to clea=
>> things up) - net/glusterfs lists craig001@lerwick.hopto.org as the
>> MAINTAINER and is at version 3.6.2.  The sysutils/glusterfs port lists
>> bapt@FreeBSD.org as the MAINTAINER and is at version 20140811.
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=99m not really sure about the provenance since we were simply eva=
luating
>> glusterfs for awhile and may have pulled in interim versions from those
>> sources, but obviously it would be best to have an official maintainer an=
>> someone in the FreeBSD project actually curating a glusterfs port so that=

>> all users of FreeBSD can use it.  It would also be fairly key to your own=

>> efforts, assuming you decide to pursue glusterfs as a foundation technolo=
gy
>> for pNFS.
>>=20
>> The other object store, which is pretty mature and is currently leading t=
he
>> pack (of two :) ) for inclusion into FreeNAS is RiakCS from Basho.  There=
 is
>> a port currently in databases/riak but it=E2=80=99s pretty out of date at=
 version
>> 1.4.12 (the current version is 2.0.1, with 2.0 being a major upgrade of
>> RiakCS).
>>=20
>> We are very interested in investigating various ways of shimming RiakCS t=
>> NFS, using RiakCS a back-end store.   Is that something you=E2=80=99d be a=
menable to
>> discussing?   I=E2=80=99d be happy to send you an amd64 architecture mach=
ine to
>> develop on. :)
> Hmm. =46rom a quick look at their web page (I looked once before as well),=
 I don't
> think RiakCS has what I need to do pNFS in a reasonable (for me) amount of=
 effort.
> Two things that glusterFS has that I am hoping to use (and I don't think R=
iakCS has
> either of these) are:
> - A Fuse file system interface which allows the kernel nfsd to access the s=
tore as
>  a file system, so that it can provide the metadata services (NFS without t=
he reads/writes).
> - A userland NFSv3 server in each node which will allow the node to act as=
 a data server.
>=20
> If I am wrong and RiakCS does support a VFS file system interface (via Fus=
e or ???), then
> please correct me. With that, it might be a reasonable alternative.
> I'll admit I've spent a little time looking at the glusterFS sources and h=
aven't yet
> solved the problem of how to generate the file handles I need, but that so=
unds trivial
> compared with an entire Fuse and/or VFS file system interface, I think?
>=20
> In general, using a cloud object store to implement a pNFS server is a *mi=
s*use of
> the technology, imho. I think it may be possible with glusterFS, since tha=
t technology
> seems to be based on a cluster file system, which is what a pNFS server ca=
n also use.
>=20
> I think there would be a lot of work involved in mapping a POSIX file syst=
em onto the
> Riak database and then exporting that via NFS, etc. It might also be more p=
ractical to
> do this via a userland NFS service than the kernel based one currently in =
FreeBSD.