Date:      Fri, 4 May 2012 17:11:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: Off topic: NetBSD or OpenBSD for Alpha server ?

Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 04:45:17PM -0400, Outback Dingo wrote:

> > QNX will not run on the Alpha architecture, freeBSD 6.4 in my opinion
> > is still the far better choice for anything alpha
> > the only other thing i would recommend oin that platorm would be
> > OpenVMS from the hobbyist kit. But then again
> > I only run real Operating systems on my Alphas :)
>
> 6.4 is way past EOL. It's irresponsible to recommend it.

Dec ALPHAs are way past EOL.  DEC, itself, is way past EOL.

For obselete hardware one frequetly has no alternative but to run an
obselete operating system.

The OP has already decided on a *BSD.  Recommending VMS, of any form, is
not a 'helpful'/'responsive' response to his questions.  You *don't*know*
_why_ he has selected *BSD, so you have _no_ idea whether VMS is viable
or his needs.

Given that he -needs- a *BSD on _that_ hardware which which 'flavor' would
you recomend?  Or would you insist he discard that hardware and replace
it with something current?   inquiring minds want to know.  *grin*