Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:42:05 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, support@cyclades.com
Subject:   Re: PCI 16 port Cyclades w/2.2-ALPHA (FreeBSD)

>I recently just returned my 32 port ISA Cyclades cards in favor of PCI
>Cyclades 32 port cards. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get them to be
>properly recognized (the machine sees a card, but then gets a parity
>error, and the kernel panics & freezes).
>
>Could someone send me their (working?) kernel config file for these
>cards for FreeBSD 2.2-ALPHA, so I can make sure its just not something stupid
>that I'm doing...
>
>Also, if there is any special procedure thats recommended for setting these
>cards up (ie - using CYTEST or the like), please fill me in on that. The
>FreeBSD handbook seems minimal on the subject. The manpage is great
>for the ISA, but makes no reference to the PCI version, and the Cyclades
>documentation says "see the FreeBSD documentation".

   Is this in a PPro machine? The folks at U of Utah are having a similar
problem. Accessing the shared memory on ports on the second set of 16 ports
sometimes generates a PCI parity error. The problem doesn't happen for them
(or for me) on P5 systems, although there was one report from someone of this
happening about once a day under heavy use on a P5 system. It appears to be
some sort of hardware/timing problem related to the Cyclades PCI interface.
If you haven't already, you might try using cytest.exe to change the card
to be mapped in high memory rather than 640K-1M and see if this makes any
difference.

-DG

David Greenman