Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:18:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        ?ukasz Misiuda <luk@albion.albion.pl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd not working

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 04:47:20PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, [ISO-8859-2] Łukasz Misiuda wrote:
> >
> > > LAN - ed0 - ethrnet
> > > WAN - ppp0 - leased line (pppd)
> >
> > Standard issue.
> >
> > > I followed all suggestions in 'man', e.g.:
> > >
> > > -kernel with IPFIREWALL, and IPDIVERT
> > > -ip forwarding
> > > -ipfw rule: ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ppp0
> > > -starting natd (from console): natd -v -n ppp0
> >                                             ^^^^
> >
> > Oops, this should be ed0.  See the natd man page.
> >

> Why it should be ed0? Bother to explain?

Sure.  You want the packets to be translated from the outside world's
address to your internal network.  The -n (aka -interface) option takes
the IP address and netmask of the named interface for the destination
translation address.  You want the LAN hidden from the rest of the world,
not the rest of the world hidden by the LAN.  :)

> In my mind, there is only one requirement: start natd after ppp0
> has been configured.

It doesn't matter since natd is runing through ipfw anyway.

Doug White