Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 95 9:21:21 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rdabney@lanl.gov (R. N. Dabney)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0 install probs

>   I've been attempting to install 2.0 on a SCSI drive attached to a Future
> Domain 950 (yeah, yeah, I know they suck, but it is the only supported ctlr
> I have). When I write the MBR in FDISK, I get a dialog box "Invalid
> Argument" and at the bottom of the screen "Disk doesn't have MBR",
> "writedisklabel: MSP with no BSD part". The geometry reported by the startup
> probe is 2405 cyls, 6 hds, 72 secs and 507 MB. I tried changing the geometry
> in FDISK to 32 secs, 64 hds and 507 cyls. The SCSI drive is the second
> drive, the first is a IDE which I was able to FDISK  and LABEL but with a
> really small slice. I can write a boot record to the SCSI (I suppose, no
> complaints). Any pointers would be appreciated.

You must specify the geometry the BIOS expects, not just any geometry.

A 2405 cylinders, I suspect there is translation.

If nothing else, you need to pull down pfdisk.exe from the FTP site and
run it under DOS to get the apparent geometry.

If pfdisk.exe (or or another partition manager) shows a single partition
of type 0x54 when run *from DOS booted from a floppy disk*, then you
will either need to dedicate the drive to BSD or hack some disklabel
values (and potentially some device drivers).  Give me a yell if you
see this.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---