Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 14:09:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to modify an existing user's setting?

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Ilia Chipitsine wrote:

> 1. 'man chpass'
> 2. 'man vipw'
>
> you can also delete 'root' user, login as 'toor' user and add 'root' user
> again :-)

I can not delete the root user by rmuser.  So I delete root by vipw.
After that, I exit and try to login in as toor.  But this time no matter
whatever passwd I try, it won't log me in (I tries the old root password
or simple press enter at the passwd prompt).  The passwd field for toor is
a * if you see it by vipw.

Any idea?

-Zhihui