Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:30:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE Questions

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Brian N. Handy wrote:

> Trying to install 2.2-<Mumble August Snap from CD?> on a 486 with two IDE
> HD's.  wd0 is a 540 MB drive running Win95.  wd1 is a 2.4GB drive, with
> the following partitions:
>
> 	1.0GB:  Win95
> 	1.4GB:  FreeBSD
>
> I was able to install FreeBSD onto the second partition.  I installed
> Booteasy on both drives, thinking I could use this to get to FreeBSD.  I
> can't.
>
> Questions:
>
>  (1)  Can I have my bootable FreeBSD partition on the second drive?

Yes.

>  (2)  Can I have a 1GB Win95 partition ahead in front of it?

Not on the same disk.

>  (3)  Another problem.  When I boot from the floppy, it probes the drives
>       and finds them...sorta fine, but on wd1 I get something like:
>
> 	wd1:  [bleah, XX b/s, etc...]
> 	wd1 not found at 0x340h  (paraphrased, I don't remember the addr)
>
> I'm sorry about the gross lack of detail, I did this at a friend's house,
> wrote down the messages and then left the piece of paper there.  I'm
> hoping something here will tell somebody enough to get me past this, I
> presume either #1 or #2 is a showstopper.

That may be wdc1, the second IDE controller, which may or may not exist on
that system.  It's nothing to worry about.

> Any hints, or do I need more detail?

I think you're being bit by the bad geometry bug.  Try this:

1.  USE DOS FDISk and delete the FreeBSD partition.  Create a small DOS
partition on that disk.
2.  Run FreeBSD install.  From it's fdisk manager, delete the DOS
partition, then make the FreeBSD partition to your taste.

That should do it.  Since you installed sysinstall on the first disk where
it belongs, you won't need to reinstall it manually.  Sysinstall messes
this up.