Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 23:10:36 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        james@nexis.net (James FitzGibbon)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for strptime(3) ? (fwd)

As James FitzGibbon wrote:

> Question: what is the "official" position regarding ports that require
> hacks (or borrowed addition) to FreeBSD libraries.  Read below for
> specifics, but the short form is that in order to port mSQL 2.0b5
> completely, I need strptime(3), which isn't in FBSD libc, but is in GNU
> libc.
>
> Can I just include strptime.c in ${FILESDIR} and compile it up for this
> port, or does that tread on policy (GNU, FreeBSD, or otherwise ?)

Well, you're not going to include in the base system, so it's only a
matter that your port/package will be GPLed.  However, in the case of
mSQL, i'm not sure whether this is good, since as i understand it,
both licenses clash.

If you have a non-GPLed source, feel free to also submit it to libc or
libcompat (depending on the general value of the function).  If we
have more than one function, maybe we could also start something like
a libiberty.{a,so*}, where the sources live in /usr/src/gnu/lib.
Still, the copyright remains an issue for the final binary.

--
cheers, J"org