Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:46:24 -0800
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/include/utils.h

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 03:30:21AM +0600, Max Khon wrote:
> I have another (not thoroughly tested) patch to make
> -DWITH_NATIVE_THREADS compile on post-4.7 system
>
> A replacement for j2sdk1.3.1/src/solaris/hpi/native_threads/src/threads_bsd.c
> attached. It will not compile on 4.7-RELEASE and earlier, probably
> some #ifdef munging should be added but I haven't bumped __FreeBSD_version
> after pthreads API modifications. Probably 470101 could be used
> to filter out most pre-4.7 installations and it will safely work
> for 4.8-RELEASE and later (including 5.0-RELEASE and later).

Native threads don't fully work anyway and it was largely a stepping
stone for HotSpot, so the key component for native threading is to
get HotSpot fully compiling with the latest changes. I have a libc_r
jmp_buf thingy in the works that suppose to fix the problems with 1.4
J2SE along with 1.3.1, but I haven't finished it yet. I slacked off
waiting for the new ucontext stuff to be committed for libc_r.

> I haven't looked at PR posted today that fixes something related
> to native threads (by the way is it really necessary to use
> native threads for hotspot?) -- it's hard to read .uue

Yes, HotSpot is pure native threading.

> and probably will not have enough spare time to fix problems with
> native threads my patch may introduce but I will be glad to
> hear work/doesn't work reports and do submit this file so it
> can be tested and probably integrated to patchset8 by someone else.

bill