Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:21:46 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security

Gustavo Vieira G C Rios wrote:

> Hi, folks, i am trying to increase my system security, but the main
> problem i would like to solve is:
> I DON'T wanna my user to send their passwords via a connect over
> internet. for instance, when getting email they need to send it! Isn't
> there any way to send this passwd encrypted? The same happens with ftp,
> etc. For shell session i am using ssh, but how to do about other
> services ?

For email, require your users to use IMAP or POP3 with APOP.  Both feature
encrypted password access.

For file transfer, disable your FTP server and make your users use scp.
If they have ssh setup, scp should work just fine.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com