Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 22:03:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        kbyanc@alcnet.com (Kelly Yancey)
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modex support (again)

It seems Kelly Yancey wrote:
>   I think you just nailed the problem here. It requires a prohibitive
> amount of effort to support modex video modes given the return. What I am
> thinking about is removing the 320x240 mode (since it is impossibly
> difficult to deal with)...no one is using it now so no one would be
> affected. I would also like to add a comment into one of the source files
> indicating why we have chosen not to support unchained VGA modes (ie.
> "modex" modes) so that we can prevent this question from arising again in
> the future.
>   On a slightly related note, I am currently in the process of developing
> patches to add more useful "tweaked" modes to the video driver:
>   graphics 720x480, 16 colors   (90x30 8x16 character cells)
>   graphics 256x256, 256 colors  (32x32 8x8 character cells)
>   graphics 296x220, 256 colors  (37x27 8x8 character cells)
>   text 90x25, 90x30, 90x43, 90x50, 90x60
>
>   The patches will also update vidcontrol to allow selecting any of the
> modes.

Excuse me, but those modes are even more wierd than modex, either we stick
to the std modes, or we'll bloat the driver beyond repair, what I'm
stricktly against. All those wacky modes should be set from a module
or some such, they have NOTHING to do in the kernel pr default.

This isn't Linux guys... (sorry couldn't help that one)...

-Søren