Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:38:22 +0100
To:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed patchset to support DreamPlug on freebsd 9 and 10.

Am 12.11.2012 19:04, schrieb Ian Lepore:
> On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 17:37 +0100, Mattia Rossi wrote:
>> Am 12.11.2012 16:02, schrieb Ian Lepore:
>>> It's been long enough now that I'm not sure that patchset will even
>>> apply cleanly anymore.  I bricked my dreamplug and haven't been able to
>>> revive it yet (I haven't quite given up, but that fact that's it's
>>> almost a one-off by being NAND based doesn't help).
>> I've worked around the risk of bricking it, by not touching the NAND at
>> all, but by creating a FAT32 partition on the internal SD (or was it
>> FAT16?), where the kernel resides. The installed uboot is quite happy to
>> boot from there.
> I bricked it in the dumbest possible way: I typed a command into the
> wrong window.  I'm trying to get freebsd's nand support ported to an
> embedded system for work, and I was using the DP as a reference
> implementation, and I did a dd command to write to the nand in the DP's
> console window instead of the console for the embedded system.
>
>> You might want to try reinstalling the original uboot on the NAND using
>> the JTAG. I'm sure I've seen the instructions for that somewhere on the net.
>> This way we don't need the NAND/NOR crazyness for the dreamplug. It's
>> not super clean, but with 2M of NAND in my dreamplug there's no space
>> for a freebsd kernel anyway.
> The jtag interface on the DP is a pretty marginal thing... you can't
> just connect to it with OpenOCD and reflash or even load a boot image
> like you should be able to.  Marvell and/or globalscale seem to have
> gotten some things wrong; there's quite a bit of info about this if you
> google.  I did manage to get the DP's attention with OpenOCD a couple
> times, using the technique of carefully timing the launch of the openocd
> script with manually hitting the power button.  If you're lucky you can
> occasionally hit the 50ms or so window during which it will respond.
> But then I still couldn't do anything after getting the right prompt.
>
> Another problem is that I can't even find the right image to flash
> because globalscale's site indicates that all DP units contain NOR
> flash, not NAND.  If I can ever get past the jtag timing glitches, I'm
> hoping the NAND image for a GuruPlug will work.

Wow, okay, didn't know about this problem. This sucks...
As said, at the moment I'm not able to do anything, but as my dreamplug
is NAND and everything on it is intact, I might simply revert to ubuntu
to get an image of the uboot, so at least that should help. So we can
archive that somewhere for safety.

Hope to be able to do that within a month or so, but can't guarantee that.

Cheers,

Mat