Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:25:27 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: [pac@bvemx.ppco.com: kern/4068: 'panic: cant mount root' while booting new installation from disk 2.]

>>Number:         4068
>>Category:       kern
>>Synopsis:       'panic: cant mount root' while booting new installation from disk 2.
>
>-----End of forwarded message-----
>
>Pilot error, as we all know.  But that's now the third or fourth bug
>report of someone who's not intelligent enough to read the
>documentation.

People who actually read boot(8) in RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE should get this
wrong :-).

".It unit
The unit number of the drive on the controller being used.  Either 0
or 1 for wd..."

This says that wd2 doesn't exists, and hints that you need to specify
a controller number, but there is no way to specify a controller number
at boot time.

>Any suggestions on how to:
>. or at least detect the case post-mortem, and hint to the correct
>  usage in a printf() right before the panic?

It should at least hint about booting with -a (which current only works if
the kernel was configured with "swap on generic", but should always work),
and failed attempts to mount root should lead back to the -a prompt, at
least if the kernel was booted with -a (-a is not so good for boots
that should work automatically).  This probably takes a negative amount
of code to implement - just clean up swapgeneric.c and call the active
part of it in a loop in init_main.c.

Bruce