Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:28:57 -0500
From:      'Denny Reiter' <denny@reiters.org>
To:        "Lapinski, Michael (Research)" <lapinski@crd.ge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server out of space -- Need suggestions

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 04:30:22PM -0400, Lapinski, Michael (Research) wrote:
> Your not goign to keep them in sync, this is so you users
> can recieve *all* of thier mail, regardless if your primary
> mail server is up. It is quite easy to config netscape and
> other mail clients to poll multiple pop servers for new mail.

Don't take this personally, but I find that solution silly in
reality.  While it's quite possible technically and would definitely
solve problems, getting a user to successfully configure one mail
account and keep from screwing that up is hard enough.  Tell them
to configure multiples and their head will start spinning.

> I was addressing topic that others had brought up with
> using a netapp and sharing it between 2 boxes and having
> one box grab the ip of the mail server if it went down.
> Its great and all but like I said before, if your mail server
> is built well then the network turns into the failure point.
> And with the network being the failure point why bother having
> redundant mail servers in the same physical location?

Got a couple of hundred users?  You can probably get away with
taking down your mail server to add more RAM or upgrading your
system.  Got 10,000? You still might be able to get away with it
in the wee hours of the morning if you are quick and lucky.  Got
60,000?  No way.  You might be able to build one box and make it
ultra-reliable and ultra-fast, but if things go sideways on you,
you're screwed.  Having multiple boxes taking care of things
automagically not only will please your customers, but immensely
improve your mental health.

And the network being the failure point?  That's why you have
multiple circuits from different providers.

--
Denny Reiter                               denny@reiters.org
So I don't hurt your feelings:        happydenny@reiters.org