Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:49:22 -0400
From:      j3 <j3@allied.org>
To:        "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Processor Motherboards (Abit BP6)

>If you're looking for price/performance, get the Abit BP6 and run dual
>celerons on it... a lot of people have had quite good results with them,
>and for price, I'd say the dual 366 PPGA is the best deal...

>-Gary Margiotta				Voice:	(973) 835-7855
>TBE Internet Services			Fax:	(973) 835-4755
>http://www.tbe.net			E-Mail:	gary@tbe.net

I have been following the BP6 and the rumors of Intel changing the celeron
fab to disable (permanently) SMP operation.  I quote from
http://www.bxboards.com :
__
My rather tounge-in-cheek comment that the "for uniprocessor systems only"
marking could just be a cheap trick from Intel to make people think twice
about going dual Celeron could well be right! Some reports are filtering
through that CPU's with this box marking are still dual SMP capable and
even the Celeron 500, which was reported to have this locking - as a direct
response to Abit's BP6 - seem also to work. Right now, as always in these
cases, the picture is confusing. My advice would be to hunt down pre-July
Celeron's for now to be on the safe-side. I personally still believe that
Intel will not tolerate dual SMP Celerons much longer...

Update: A couple of vendors have written to me confirming this.

Steve from UKGamers wrote:

Saw your post on your site. For your reader's information I have tried week
26 celerons in SMP and they work ok. By my calculation that makes 1st week
july ok for now.

PCNut wrote:

Just FYI, I have tested about 10 week 27 C366 chips tonight, they are OEM
chips made in Malaysia; which I doubt is much different from the retail
version. They work just fine on BP6 in SMP mode, cooking along at 2 x
550Mhz as we speak. Just thought you may like to know, Intel has yet
disable the SMP on these Celeron chips, just change the label on the retail
boxed processors. :)
__

So, the longetivity of Celeron SMP is murky water, no one really knows what
is coming.  If you are thinking about building a BP6 system though, I would
advise you to buy your chips now.  Prices won't drop much lower then they
already are for the 300-366 range, and the 400-466 will probably only go
down $20 or so in the coming months.  If you are waiting for 500 mhz, good
luck.

     -Jeff Casimir

PS: Can anyone reccomend a FAQ/Step-by-step on setting up a FreeBSD
(uniprocessor) box as a firewall/DNS solution?  I am an "intelligent newb"
when it comes to software, I am mostly a hardware geek.  Thanks.