Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 23:42:16 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mcs@vpm.com (Mark Stout)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How many simultaneous users on FreeBSD?

Mark Stout stands accused of saying:

> I'm wondering how many simultaneous users can FreeBSD support and what would
> one need to do to be able to accept these users?  I have someone who want to
> start an ISP using FreeBSD.  He wants to run a Usenet feed, email, ftp, www,
> telnet, SLIP/PPP and allow shell access to the users.  He figures on 8800
> users spanning multiple POPs in the first year.

We had some complaints last year from ISPs that were having problems with the
speed of password database updates over the 10,000 mark.  These bugs were
rapidly squashed, so I suspect that there are quite a number of people
running systems of that sort of size.

It's my impression that you'll hit the limit of the hardware you're running
on before you hit any limits in FreeBSD.  You might want to ask the ISP
mailing list (isp@freebsd.org) for specific war stories.

>  Mark Stout   |  The Village Potpourri Mall: http://www.vpm.com/

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[