Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2016 23:59:14 +0200
From:      Jakub Klama <jakub.klama@uj.edu.pl>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Differential] D7185: Add virtio-console support to bhyve

> Wiadomo=C5=9B=C4=87 napisana przez Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org> w =
dniu 11.07.2016, o godz. 23:52:
>=20
> Hi Jakub,
>=20
>> The purpose of virtio-console is to create arbitrary bidirectional,
>> host-to-guest communication channels that bypass guest's network
>> stack (don't require working networking in the guest).
>=20
> Could virtio-vsock be a better solution for this ? Docker's hyperkit =
has an implementation, though it appears Linux guest support is very =
recent.
>   =
https://github.com/docker/hyperkit/blob/af-vsock/src/pci_virtio_sock.c

virtio-vsock is indeed nice, but guest support is virtually missing. =
Also, I do think a simple, bidirectional host-to-guest pipe suits just =
fine for most scenarios where hypervisor wants to control guest or vice =
versa. Let's do simple things first.

>> But even for
>> using it as the system console, it's a bit better than emulated
>> serial port, because the protocol supports passing console resize
>> events from host to guest.
>=20
> It makes for an excellent serial port since it uses descriptor rings =
for data transfer, but the lack of a simple polled-mode operation =
(unless the emergency support is used) isn't the best for a system =
console.

Let me put emergency write support in there. It's just few lines of =
code.

Jakub=