Date:      Fri, 25 May 2012 12:21:54 -0400
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        eadler@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heimdal 1.5.2 problem
References:  <4FAD492C.3060807@gmx.de> <CA%2BQLa9CyVUmvy=NzHiP73iTTRKVqU9Eza=PPMmLZrogoUn_gAg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BQLa9AC_mDrBiPaYOJ_M3F%2Bq07aUV1TATJcFgxSKCr2gPOFWw@mail.gmail.com> <9880B4F2567E41A582B6B9DA178AECFD@black> <CA%2BQLa9Bs1VSBoMW0cHvSSeET=9X7F--33iv=860FzKv%2BHYuqNg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BQLa9CeMN9=FF_BuKNeADuVkK5Hs74_MxsB97_zKRkT9hkDug@mail.gmail.com> <20120522125710.GB18115@atarininja.org> <CA%2BQLa9CBOw4HywRELLB8%2BCE%2Bc7t572bXdJhPi40smQxzT1LC4Q@mail.gmail.com> <20120522211434.GA5483@atarininja.org> <CA%2BQLa9DEpcPMDwnj204d_AsMUiz_=Vu75o_PViJe8H=yCp68Ew@mail.gmail.com> <20120525003844.GA24924@atarininja.org>

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Wesley Shields <wxs@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 06:29:20PM -0400, Robert Simmons wrote:

>> > I'm not opposed to removing the change to the default, but it does cau=
se
>> > another problem. See below.

>> > If a backend is required the port should refuse to build if no backend
>> > is selected. This is pretty easy to do, just check for at least one of
>> > the backends. I have no idea if multiple backends can be supported so
>> > you may or may not want to also check for that.
>>
>> I may have been too hasty. =A0I've thought of a situation where one
>> would want to build the port with no backend at all. =A0If one wanted to
>> use the tools in the port to administrate a remote install of Heimdal,
>> they may want to build it without a backend.
>>
>> My initial thoughts were only for installing the port as a Heimdal
>> server, and with the --with-berkeley-db=3Dno problem fixed it does not
>> wrongly find the version of BDB in the base OS. =A0With this fix, the
>> port can function with no backends selected. =A0It just won't be able to
>> function in a server capacity.
>>
>> I am also not an expert in Heimdal, I just installed it from source
>> via its own instructions and compared that with what the FreeBSD port
>> was doing. =A0I'd wait for the maintainer to make changes to the default
>> behavior for the above reason.
>
> This all sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :)
>
> If I'm understanding you correctly the patch[1] in ports/168214 is the
> correct one to commit. The only change I would make is not bumping
> PORTREVISION since the option is off by default. Sounds like the only
> thing left to do is wait for maintainer comment on the PR and commit
> accordingly.

Sounds good.  One question: what do you mean by PORTREVISION being off
by default?

> I appreciate your thoroughness in this and apologize for the problem.

Thanks!