Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: vmware3

thanks to those on this list, i've got vmware 3.0 working.  win2k pro is
installed, along with the guest tools.  the OS seems to run better than
ever (vs. my old 2.0 install).  woot.

however, vmmon/vmnet is giving me some fits.  after the install, and after
running vmware.sh from /usr/local/etc/rc.d...  i end up with the following
entries in /compat/linux/dev:

mike@mojo{conf}$ ls /compat/linux/dev/vm*
/compat/linux/dev/vmmon   /compat/linux/dev/vmnet1

vmnet1 shows up in ifconfig output,

vmnet1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        ether 00:bd:9f:c4:01:01

this is a bridged configuration, and it is reading address/etc. info
properly from /usr/local/etc/vmware/config:

mike@mojo{conf}$ cat /usr/local/etc/vmware/config
<snip>
vmnet1.HostOnlyAddress = "192.168.0.1"
vmnet1.HostOnlyNetMask = "255.255.255.0"

and that shold work, because it's what's referred to in my vmware config
(~/.vmware/*),

mike@mojo{.vmware}$ grep vmnet win2kpro/win2000Pro.cfg
ethernet0.vnet = "/compat/linux/dev/vmnet1"

so my question is...  since _everything_ seems to refer to "vmnet1" (i
haven't seen vmnet0 mentioned anywhere just yet)...  why does vmnet0
magically appear ONLY after running vmware itself?  despite not being
referenced in my vmware config or the vmware.sh script, after running
vmware itself i end up with BOTH vmnet0 and vmnet1 sitting aorund (only
vmnet1 is properly configured):

vmnet1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        ether 00:bd:9f:c4:01:01
vmnet0: flags=8803<UP,BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:bd:13:e0:01:00
        Opened by PID 6032

as stated, PID 6032 is vmware...  the following entries also get created
in /dev (not /compat/linux/dev...),

mike@mojo{conf}$ ls /dev/vm*
/dev/vmmon   /dev/vmnet0  /dev/vmnet1

the problem is i think this is confusing vmware...  or i'm overlooking
something that refers to vmnet0 (i've tried a complete reinstall of the
port, verified everything refers to vmnet1, then start vmware, and vmnet0
appears while vmnet1, despite being properlyconfigured via
ifconfig/ngctl/vmware.sh, sits unused.)  as it is, networking just won't
work.  clicking "power on" just results in a "unable to query vmnet0 --
update vmmon" -- uh, ok, but nothing's referring to vmnet0, right?  and if
it is, why does the vmware.sh script, etc. point to vmnet1?

i recall having this same ordeal in v2.0...  so maybe i'm doing the same
thing wrong then and now.  i've tried the usual mess of manually
configuring vmnet0 properly, creating links, etc.  nothing really seems to
make vmware happy.  what i'd prefer is for vmware to just use the already
properly configured (i think, the vmware.sh script runs w/o error)
vmnet1.

TIA for any ideas.

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher@adept.org>
To: spam-catcher@adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!