Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:15:45 -0500
From:      Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
To:        Gene Harris <geneh@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk13 and WITH_NATIVE_THREADS compile failing

Gene Harris writes:
 > How are you compiling HotSpot?  I am receiving a message that 4.7-Stable is
 > not a supported operating system when I execute build.sh.

I recalled seeing some instructions on how to do this on the mailing
list some time ago, so I searched google and found the following...

  1) compile jdk w/ -DWITH_NATIVE_THREADS
      (now I know we need Max Khon's code).
  2) export ALT_BOOTDIR=/usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1
  3) cd /usr/ports/java/jdk13/work/hotspot1.3.1/build/linux
  4) gmake core compiler1 compiler2

Here's a link to the message on FreeBSD's mailing list archives:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=20451+25548+/usr/local/www/db/text/2003/freebsd-java/20030105.freebsd-java

I should warn you, though, that the compile did not succeed for me --
it failed somewhere in compiler1.  I haven't had time to try anything
more out -- it was compiling for a while before it failed.

I also seem to recall some comments that one version of GCC or another
will allow it to compile, but, like I said, I haven't been able to try
anything out.  I do plan on trying again this weekend, and I'll let
you know if I make any progress.

Anything that anyone else can contribute on the subject???

--
Chris