Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:16:18 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Mark Ovens" <marko@freebsd.org>, "Zhihui Zhang" <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        "Moritz Hardt" <root@morix.de>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Curious about Wine (was: Re: wine error messages)

Hello Mark,

> Well, without knowing your full setup, I can't guarantee to have the
> exact answer, but first, try cd(1)'ing to the directory where
> WINWORD.EXE lives, then running ``wine WINWORD.EXE'' and see if that
> works.
>
> I was running it under Win95 and found things worked better if I used
> ``--winver win95'' as an argument to wine. I don't know if there is a
> "win98" argument to ``--winver'', if not you could try "in95".

I never tried this Wine stuff. Does this mean you have to have a Win 9x
installation including Word, then you mount this slice in FBSD, cd to it and
run it?
Is it possible to run it without a Win9x installed on the machine, just
plain FBSD? What about NT instead of Win 9x?
Will Word 6 do better or worse than Word 95/97 ? I always thought Wine would
emulate Win 3.x  (so only 16bit software, no 32bit).
Is there some documentation about the status of the Wine emulation?

Very curious

Siegbert