Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:03:01 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiler performance tests on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT

On 2012-09-16 07:19, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 12:34:45AM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> I tried to map the CPUID into more human-friendly family moniker, and it
> seems that these are Pentium-4 class CPUs. Am I right ?

Yes, it is apparently a Nocona model, this is part of the dmesg:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2793.24-MHz K8-class CPU)
   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf41  Family = f  Model = 4  Stepping = 1
   Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
   Features2=0x641d<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,CNXT-ID,CX16,xTPR>
   AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
   TSC: P-state invariant
real memory  = 4294967296 (4096 MB)
avail memory = 4097470464 (3907 MB)
Event timer "LAPIC" quality 400
ACPI APIC Table: <DELL   PE BKC  >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 2 package(s) x 1 core(s) x 2 HTT threads
  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
  cpu1 (AP/HT): APIC ID:  1
  cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  6
  cpu3 (AP/HT): APIC ID:  7

> If yes, could you, please, rerun the tests on anything more recent than
> Core2, i.e. any Core i7-whatever class of Xeons ?

I would love to, especially because the tests will complete faster, but
I currently do not have access to physical machines of that class.

Normally I do performance tests on the FreeBSD reference machines, but
since these tests require booting with a custom kernel (and preferably
root access + remote console), I cannot use them.

So if somebody can offer such a machine (for a limited time only, a few
days most likely, 1 week maximum), it would be great.

-Dimitry