Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:52:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
Cc:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, "Carlos A. Carnero Delgado" <carnero@icrt.cu>, Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Annoying ARP warning messages.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Don Bowman wrote:

> > From: Julian Elischer [mailto:julian@elischer.org]
> > > Is there support for 802.3ad in FreeBSD? This would be the best
> > > way to gang interfaces together in a standard fashion. It involves
> > > LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol), which prevents loops
> > > @ L2 (I think its an extension of STP). Packet reordering is also
> > > solved (the simple round robin scheme achieves rather poor
> > performance
> > > due to this problem).
> > >

> > This could be (relatively) easy in netgraph.. it was designed for that
> > sort of thing.
> >

> I assume you mean with a user-mode daemon, sort of a LACPD, like
> in the linux model? (http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~yumo/), and then
> a version of one2many that did the src^dst hash to prevent re-ordering?
> Or would you implement the control protocol inside netgraph as well?

you'd put as much in the netgraph node as possible. A daemon might
do some ocnfiguration etc. but you don't want it near the data.
Examples of link-level protocols in netgraph modules
include ppp (multilink ppp), frame relay, 802.1x, (or is that 11x)
bluetooth, the cisco bonding (ng_nge from Bill Paul, though it doesn't
really use netgraph properly) and the netgraph atm stack.

> On a side note, is there anything netgraph can't solve :)

not good at level3 protocols as far as I can see.