Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:07:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making ddb a kld

> >> 1.  This will require moving all the ddb code, which is scattered
> >>     around the system, into a separate file.  I'm prepared to do the
> >>     work, but it's possible that somebody would complain about the
> >>     colour of the bikeshed.  Here's your chance.
> >
> > How does it deal with the locore.s issues?
>
> Which locore.s issues?

BDE's debugger hooks in multiple places in locore.s, both for the
signature compare for startup, and for bdb_prepare_paging() and
bdb_commit_paging() to permit tracing through initi386().

It also changes the kernel text mapping from read-only to read/write,
as well as hooking the debugging trap in the IDT, very early on.

I don't see how you could do several of these things in a loadable
module, unless you pretended it was always loaded (and eat the IDT
and other overhead).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---