Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:12:25 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <midiostri@in.gr>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Security !

> I'm busy securing our LAN and I need to setup a freebsd 4.3 box that will
run as firewall and protect my vulnerable network from the internet chaos.
I also think of running NAT there too.

> There appear to be quite a lot of hackers and intruders in the wild and I
need to keep them out of my lan.

> I'd appreciate any suggestions or links/references to stuff that can help
me on this.

Although I can't remember any off the top of my head, if you do a search on
google for the topic then you'll find a host of resources. Check out
www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd - I think (althoguh I'm not sure) that
they have a tutorial on the issue.

> Also, are there any scripts that can be run periodically on a computer
and check if there are changes made to files ?

Check out tripwire from the ports (/usr/ports/security/tripwire) - in the
words of one of my friends a couple of days back "it monitors key system
files and goes beserk if anything changes". Not tried it myself, but sounds
like what you are looking for. He used a good tutorial for setting up his
box actually, to do similar things to you...I'll just see if I can find the
address....

http://www.schlacter.dyndns.org/public

There you go. Although it seems to be offline at this precise minute, I'd
give it another try later.

Hope this all helps in some small way.

Regards,
Mark

--
Mark Hughes - DVD & Film Content Manager, Technical Officer
Digital Spy Ltd