Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 03:23:05 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        dave@pixelhammer.com, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache+PHP3 build problems

DAve wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Jul 2000, Jim Durham wrote:
> > Since I don't belong to any Apache or PHP mailing lists, I'm hoping that
> > someone here may have played with building Apache+PHP3 (or PHP4) with
> > IMAP support. Apparently, the FreeBSD package (3.3-RELEASE) doesn't have
> > IMAP support, which I need for TWIG.
> snip
> > I then went to the PHP build directory and did a ./configure
> > --with-apache=
> > ../apache_1.3.12 --with-mysql --with-imap. This built libphp3.a and
> > iinstalled
> > it into the Apache build tree at src/modules/php3. I then tried adding
> > "AddModule modules/php3/libphp3.a" to the end of the src/Configuration
> > file in apache and doing a build in the Apache directory with
> > make and make install.
> >
> > What I end up with is a bunch of unresolved references to "ap_(etc)",
> > which,
> > I believe, is in the APACI install stuff.
> >
> APACI ? are you using the apxs install or  compiling PHP into Apache?
> Your php config line looks as if your compiling PHP into apache,
> rather than as a DSO
>
> > I also need mod_so in the Apache build so that I can add modules
> >at  runtime (I use mod_roaming). I built just a basic Apache without
> >the PHP stuff and this didn't work either. I uncommented the line in
> > src/modules for mod_so and built Apache. When I do "http -l" it
> >doesn't show up in the module list and trying to do "LoadModule"
> >in the .conf script produces an error indicating that support for
> >"LoadModule" is not installed. I also tried --enable=so .
> > The instructions on the php.net site and on the Apache site differ
> > somewhat. I've tried it in every combination of the two and ended up
> > with no joy.
> >
> > Anyone built this? Also, has anyone built these with SSL support also?
> > Any info greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Jim Durham
>
> I prefer to first configure Apache with the default layout, then edit
> the src/Configuration file to what I want.  YMMV
>
> You'll find mod_so is around line 430, uncomment that line to build
> Apache with mod_so. You can comment/uncomment all the goodies within
> that file after you first run 'configure,' but before you run 'make'.
> You'll find PHP will have already added the nessasary lines to
> install PHP there after you run make install in PHP.
>
> As for IMAP, I've always used UW imap, I make the config line
> "--with-imap="  point directly to  imap-4.5/src/c-client  file when
> compiling PHP. For some reason on my BSD and Slackware boxes the file
> c-client is never found otherwise.
>
> 1) configure Apache with default layout
> 2) configure PHP
> 3) make and make install PHP
> 4) edit src/Configuration for apache
> 5) make and make install apache
>
> Off the top of my head, that's how I do it. (I have done several in
> the past weeks!)

Thanks, Dave, for replying...

I just got done spending another 4 hours or so.

Yes, I'm trying to compile in php into Apache.

I did step 1, 2 and 3 with no problems, except, like I said, I wanted
it in /usr/local/apache, so I used --prefix=/usr/local/apache.

What I found out with #4 is that configure is paying no attention
whatsoever to what I put in the src/Configuration file, or in
src/Configuration.tmpl or in src/Configuration.apaci. It makes
no difference what I comment or uncomment. The only thing it pays
attention to is --enable-module=so or other command line arguments
to configure. If I put command line arguments into ./configure, then
it compiles the modules. It is not compiling in the php stuff, even
though I added the line to the end of the src/Configuration file.
The only way I can get it to do that is to use the --activate-module
command line argument. Then it comes up with all kinds of unresolved
references. I just tried running configure, then modifying the
src/Configuration file to eliminate everything except mod_so. It
paid no attention whatsoever and compiled all the defaults.

So, with arguments to configure, I finally got it to compile. However,
it doesn't run. It doesn't make a log file. There are no system log
file entries. It just goes away quietly.

I've sorta come to the conclusion that the Apache source tree I have
is broken. It is 1.3.12 . Maybe I'll try downloading another tarball.

thanks for the comments. I'll try leaving the prefix set to default
(which is /www.. why? ) and compiling to see if it makes any difference,
but right now, it's 3am and I'm hitting the sack. I'm losing a lot
of sleep over this thing 8-) .
--
Jim Durham