Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 12:11:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

> > > I am actually having quite a hard time working out what the difference
> > > is between libdescrypt and libcipher. Could you enlighten me please?
> > > (I was of a mind to trash libcipher, as it seems superfluous.)
> >
> > Easy.  libdescrypt is the UNIX one-way password hash function,
> > implemented in a way that I believe is likely to be exportable.
> > libcipher is all the other entry points which were traditionally
> > associated with the UNIX `crypt' function, and which are not
> > exportable because they can be used to perform encryption and
> > decryption; this includes things like `setkey' and `encrypt'.
>
> Isn't it amazing what `nm' can tell you? Sheesh - I should have done
> that first!
>
> Now (says he, fishing for information) why were folks so cagey with me
> and Geoff Rehmet back in the 386bsd PatchKit days, when a patchkit was
> supplied without a crypt.c, so we could make our own?

Back in them days we the laws where not quite as clear to us as they
are now, ie, we knew far less about them then, than we do now.  We also
did not have the shared library code back then to make it work as slick
as it does now.  [Remeber, you would have had to change more than just
the libcrypt.so symlink that we have now!!!]

> AFAIK this crypt.c's
> only entry point was crypt, so that puts it in the same class as our
> current libdescrypt. Why was/is this a problem? Is it just a lack of
> clarity in the laws?

It *was* a lack of a good understanding of the laws back in the patchkit
days.  It was also missing a good clean way to turn a system from non-crypt
to crypt.

We still can't export the source to libdescrypt.*, but from my understanding
we can export the binary of it.  [Is that a correct statement Garrett?]