Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:26:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   IRQ's, etc... frustrating laptops :-)

Ok, so I've got a great little Digital HiNote Ultra 2000, a 166 MHz Pentium
seat warmer.  It has two builtin PCMCIA slots, plus space for two factory-
installed PCMCIA devices, an ethernet and a modem...  of which this machine
only has a WinModem (groan).  It also has a serial port, which I need, an
IRda port, and a sound system built in.

The PCMCIA slots are on pcic1, which wasn't too hard to figure out.  I also
determined how to put pcic? into polling mode, to save on interrupts.

So, anyways, this system was already a bit stressed for IRQ's.

3 is serial, 4 is IRda, 5 is sound card, 7 is lpt, pcic-pci{0,1,2,3} soak
up 9 and 10, 11 I use for PCMCIA, 12 is psm, I don't know if it is OK to
use 13, 14 is HDD, and 15 is multimedia dock.

And now I've this nifty multimedia dock which actually lets me hear the
audio :-)  but at the same time it introduces additional complexity, as it
has two additional PCMCIA slots, a USB port, an additional slot for a
floppy or CDROM, etc..

First, where might I find this *THIRD* PCMCIA controller (presumably pcic2)

Second, what the hell do people do to have all their stuff work and yet work
around the limited number of irq's?

Thanks :-)
--
... Joe