Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:32:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        "Gestur A. Grjetarsson" <gestur@islandia.is>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org, admin@islandia.is
Subject:   Re: system frequently hangs, and most often automatically reboots on daily basis.

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Gestur A. Grjetarsson wrote:

> The failure is in few words:
> The system frequently hangs, often it reboots automatically without
> any notice or much workload.  We've been running the FreeBSD os in about
> a year now, and have tolerated this failures, but it seems that they are
>
> the system consists of:
> FreeBSD 2.1.5
>
>  cslip and ppp are installed

Hmm, I suffered this with 2.0.5 for a while, but I have not had a
crash/hang since switching to 2.1.5.  I have a feeling that it is caused by
problems in the SLIP code erroneously expanding bad CSLIP headers.
Switching to PPP only stopped the problem completely.  The CSLIP problem
has been fixed in 2.1.5 by David Greenman, which is why I'm surprised you
are still suffering.  Try switching everyone possible over to PPP and see
if that reduces the problem.  DG, did however express doubt as to the
cause of my problems, and suggested that I was running out of mbuf clusters.
Try rebuilding a kernel with
options "NMBCLUSTERS=2048" (4096 etc)
or
options MAXUSERS 64