Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 1997 21:51:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
To:        mef@cs.washington.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-SMP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Issues on P6DNH

Hi mef@cs.washington.edu;  On 31-Aug-97 you wrote:
>  Simon,
>
>  What the deal with the P6DNH motherboard from Supermicro?  A while
>  back you posted a set of problems to the smp mailing list.  Are these
>  now resolved?  Is the P6DNH MB a good one to buy if one wants to play
>  around with i2o?

Last I left these issues, Steve said the MPTable is corrupt.  I forwarded
that to SuperMicro ``support'' which immediately said this is the way it
should be, to stop my wild loughing, they supposedly forwarded the details
to AMI.  Did not hear anything since.  The board is excellent, we are using
many of them (we need ALL 8 PCI slots.  I am working closely on this issue
and hopefully in the next few weeks something will happen.

Simon

>  Thanks,
>
>  Marc
>
>     Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:55:50 -0700 (PDT)
>     From: Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
>
>     Hi Steve,
>
>     Sorry for the long delay.  Had to design and code a new filesystem
>  type,
>     fight a bunch of political battles, and get a misely raise after a
>     wonderful review (``words are cheaper than cash'', was my comment).
>     Hope you are doing well.
>
>     *  Although it compiles, the SoundBlaster driver is less than
>  functional;
>        cat foo.au > /dev/audio just hangs there.  Works fine under UP on
>  the
>        same platform.
>
>     *  The fxp driver seems to not get interrupts at all.  Everything
>  times out
>        eventually and works like a very slow polled system.  This happens
>  IN
>        FRONT of the i960 bridge.  The fpa (fddi) driver, the DPT driver
>  all work
>        fine.
>
>     *  If you put COM4 on irq 7 it is there, on irq 9 it is not found.  A
>        conflict with the sb?  The sb is mapped at 220.  com4 is 2e8.
>
>     *  Something strange.  Booted SMP, started X11, xperfmon++ insisted
>  that
>        libXaw was not there if ``shimon'' tried to tun it.  Was there if
>  root
>        ran it.  Permissions?  Nope.  I re-ompiled and re-installed it.
>  Now root
>        could see the executable (in /usr/X11R6/bin) but not ``shimon''.
>        Rebooted and both are fine.  Never seen this one before.
>
>     *  Interrupt latency is still not so hot.  The typical DPT driver in
>  UP
>        serves an interrupt in 3-55us.  in SMP it takes 11-1000039us.
>
>     *  I am getting an enormous number of spurious interrupts.  In UP the
>        typical count is 0 aborted (due to errors) and 1 for spurious (int
>        routine was called but hardware said ``not me''.  In SMP, the
>  numbrs are
>        0 and 62090.  The 1 spurious is explainable ( a bug in
>  transitioning
>        from polled mode to interrupt mode during boot.
>
>     If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.  I have
>  sendero-ppp now
>     run smp.  I have another machine I will setup tomorrow (new Brass)
>  which
>     will be the same hardware.
>
>     Simon

---

Sincerely Yours,           (Sent on 02-Sep-97, 21:17:44 by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro              Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect           14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR
97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net       Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313