Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:55:35 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating from 5.2.1 to RELENG_5

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:20:09AM +0100, Phil Brennan wrote:
> As per subject, I need to do this urgently, but with minimum downtime.
> Will it be ok just to cvsup, rebuild kernel and world, mergemaster,
> (etc) like any normal update? Or do I have to do a reinstall? Any help
> appreciated.

There were some problems with this particular upgrade (though I've
forgotten if it all took place after 5.3BETA7 or even before that.=20

Also, many of the issues were in ports rather than base system, having
to do with some updates to gcc and libpthreads.  =20

I have a page where I mentioned this towards the bottom at=20

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/cvsup.html

(the page is dated, but it does cover that particular upgrade, which is
one reason I leave it up.)

You also might want to take a look around Freebsdforums.org, there were
a few threads on it.

--=20

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Just because you're better than us doesn't mean you
can be all superior.

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln--