Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:28:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jorge Aldana <jorge@salk.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Users mounting CD's or Audio CD's

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Jorge Aldana wrote:

> Yes, but which permissions need to be set on what? I'd like to do this and
> avoid any security holes if possible.

Allowing (regular) users to mount/umount FSs is already a security
problem; it's quite trivial to panic the kernel with a floppy drive,
remount /usr to a trojaned NFS share, or other Bad Things. There's a
reason why every other UNIX hardware vendor uses power eject floppies. :)

> I've seen code that uses setgid? or setuid? to do this but I'm not sure I
> want to go down that road if there is an offical way of doing this with
> FreeBSD. Also, others have mentioned super? but I still get permissions
> errors?

Super/sudo should allow it; I've done it myself.

> I'm currently looking through the archive mail lists but so far no
> concrete info. All I can find is use app this and that but no config
> parameters?

With sudo you can restrict the users to running only /sbin/mount and
/sbin/umount.  You can't restrict what they can do with those commands,
only the ability to execute them as root.

Doug White