Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:23:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      Q <q@fan.net.au>
To:        Anthony Kimball - High Performance Computing <alk@pobox.com>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, ulf@Alameda.net, rdewalt@meridianksi.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creative Labs DVD Dxr2

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Anthony Kimball - High Performance Computing wrote:

> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/officialfaq.html#6.1
> reads:
>
>   Matsushita licenses the CSS encruption technology free of charge:
>   contact CSS Interim License Orgnization, 2-15 Matsuba-cho, Kadoma,
>   Osaka 571 Japan, 81-6-905-4155, fax 81-6-901-9299.
>
> That being the case, one need simply obtain the spec.  Presumably the
> licensor can provide a CSS spec independent of the $5000 DVD spec book
> set sold by Toshiba at a substantially lower cost.

Possibly, but just because it's free doesn't mean they will let you do
whatever you want with it. It would be logical to assume that obtaining
such a license would involve NDAs and other agreements to ensure that the
derived works would meet various requirements. The primary aim being to
prevent unencrypted versions of the DVD-Video streams from being
generated.

Which means that any DVD support for FreeBSD/Linux that requires CSS be
done in software would have to be distributed in linked binary form only.

Going by the following statement (from the same FAQ) it could rule out
source code distribution unless the recipient was also a CSS licensee.

|Makers of equipment used to display DVD-Video (drives, chips, display
|boards, etc.) must license CSS. There is no charge for a CSS license, but
|it's currently a lengthy process, so it's recommended that interested
|parties apply as soon as possible. Near the end of May 1997, CSS licenses
|were finally granted for software decoding.

It is interesting to note that Auravision will not sell their Universal
DVD manufacturers kit to anyone who isn't both a licensee of CSS and
Digital Dolby. What is interesting is that both the CSS and Dolby Digital
processing are done in hardware. And the unencrypted mpeg stream can't be
accessed by the board manufacturer (C-Cube call it SafeView technology or
something like that).

Like I said, unless something changes you probably won't be able to open
source anything that does CSS in software without getting sued.

Seeya...Q

                          _____  /      Quinton Dolan - q@fan.net.au
  __  __/  /   /   __/   /      /          Systems Administrator
     /    __  /   _/    /      /            Fast Access Network
  __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /          Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
                    _______  /              Ph: +61 7 5574 1050
                           \_\                 SAGE-AU Member