Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:32:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gbaratto@superb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-SA-04:13.linux in the wild

Gustavo A. Baratto wrote to Ryan Thompson and freebsd-security@freebsd.org:

> I think I may have seen such thing before as well... not a freebsd problem
> though... It's php's own fault.
> php comes with url_fopen enabled by default, so if someone write a
> script.php with something like:
> include ("$var");
>
> [...]
>
> just disabling url_fopen in php.ini would prevent that.
>
> If this is not what you have seen, please, I'd like to know more about it.

Yep, that's almost exactly what happened. The PHP injection by itself is
fairly pedestrian, and happens on a fairly regular basis (so we have
audits for a whole host of things like this). I just mentioned it to
give a bit of background to the attack.

The linux exploit, though, I hadn't spotted in the wild yet, thus my
post, here.

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon