Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:19:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Owen <cigam@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp error

Owen wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hello,
> I am using bftpd as an ftp server on the newest version of freeBSD.

> I'm having trouble uploading to this server using the ftp unploader of
> Dreamweaver 4.

> It says "Permission Denied".

I don't think this is really FTP related.. Rather, this is a question
about file permissions. It would help if you told us a bit more about the
semantics of the user account in question... I.e., where is the users home
directory, is the user chroot'ed, and who is the owner:group of the
directory? (And, why doesn't the user own his/her home directory?)

> I know there is a way to give permissions to the user that I created
> for the login, but I don't know how to set that. I don't want to
> change the permissions of the folder, because then the folder would be
> a security measure.

Scenario 1:
Unless you're doing something unusual, the login or ftp user should
generally own their home directory. (Or at least own some public upload
directory within their home directory). To accomplish this, just "chown
user directory" where user is the userid in question, and directory is
their home directory.

Scenario 2:
Note that if several users all need to share the same directory, it may be
better off being owned by root (or some other suitable administrative
account), but be owned by a new group, say, "staff"

To accomplish this feat, add this line in /etc/group

	staff:*:1000:tom,dick,harry

That gives "tom", "dick", and "harry" group access to any files owned by
the "staff" group.

Assuming you have a directory called "/home/upload", try this:

	chown root:staff /home/upload
	chmod 0770 /home/upload

This gives the owner and "staff" group full read/write/search permission
to the directory, but denies everyone else access.

Scenario n(k+1):
If this isn't what you want, you can set the directory permissions
differently.

Useful reading:

	man chown
	man chmod
	man group

> Should I just change the permissions of the upload directory that I
> configured, or can I edit the user I made with more extensive
> permissions?

You can generally do either/both... See above.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon