Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 08:42:39 -0400
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starting ipfw

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 11:10:30PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> John Polstra wrote:
> >
> > In article <E150aBy-0002kz-00@rip.psg.com>, Randy Bush  <randy@psg.com> wrote:
> > > i am trying ipfw and hitting a start problem.  the machine boots up as if
> > > it has not been loaded.  but my /etc/rc.conf says
> > >
> > > firewall_enable="YES"         # Set to YES to enable firewall functionality
> > > firewall_script="/etc/ipfw.rules" # Which script to run to set up the firewall
> >
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ should be firewall_type
> >

> No, firewall_type would be one of "simple" or "open" or whatever.

From /etc/rc.firewall:

  ############
  # Define the firewall type in /etc/rc.conf.  Valid values are:
  #   open     - will allow anyone in
  #   client   - will try to protect just this machine
  #   simple   - will try to protect a whole network
  #   closed   - totally disables IP services except via lo0 interface
  #   UNKNOWN  - disables the loading of firewall rules.
  #   filename - will load the rules in the given filename (full path required)

Setting firewall_type to /etc/ipfw.rules does indeed do something
sensible, so long as /etc/ipfw.rules exists and is readable.

Joe