Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:53:09 +0200
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Python conflicting with other python when installed from packages

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On, Tue Jun 05, 2012, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

[...]
> The thing is that they are conflicting only for the bin/2to3 file. It would be
> nice if this file could be for example prefixed with the release of
> python like:

> bin/py27-2to3 or something like that. I'm aware that when just installing from
> ports only the first version of python installed got it, but if you
> are thinking in package only world it can't works that way.

In a package only world, I'll find ready-to-run packages for every
python flavour I need. Hence I find a

  - py25-foobar
  - py26-foobar
  - py27-foobar
  - pyWHATEVER-foobar

The good thing for me as a user is that I do not really need to rely on
2to3 anymore at installation time. $package-tool did that already for
me.

If I however am a developer and need $package-tool, I could live with
the fact that $provider defines $version as default (just as we do it
right now in bsd.python.mk). If I am not happy with their choice, I can
use the ports.

Simple as that. Prefix them on your own, define one as default for the
packages and that's it. I do not see anyother implications. If a
port should (for whatever ridiculous reason) rely on a certain bin/2to3
version at run-time, it'd need to be fixed in the ports tree, too.

Cheers
Marcus

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--