Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:00:27 +1000
From:      "Michael Tran" <dublue@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   JDK 1.5.x on top of JDK 1.4.2?

Hi,

I installed the diablo-JRE 1.5.x version as found at
http://freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml ontop of my previous
install of JDK 1.4.2

# pkg_info | grep jdk
jdk-1.4.2p7_2       Java Development Kit 1.4.2
linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.10 Sun Java Development Kit 1.4 for Linux

And Firefox is great and using the new 1.5 plugin.  However, my other
applications do not use the new version.  Also, this is the output
when I try java -version:

# /usr/local/bin/java -version
java version "1.4.2-p7"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.4.2-p7-root_10_nov_2005_18_44)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-p7-root_10_nov_2005_18_44, mixed mo=
de)

What is the process in updating my existing java with the latest?  Do
I pkg_delete, then pkg_add the new one?  My preference is to have only
one java.

I also have Openoffice, Gimp, and a few other applications installed.=20
Will this pose as a problem?

Many thanks,
Michael