Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 19:20:38 -0800
From:      Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Resolution of: 'sys' is consuming %50 of cpu

After replacing the 3COM 3C509 with an Intel Etherexpress 100/B card,
system usage dropped from  75% to 30%.

I've noticed something else: The load average hovers around 5-10. On the old
machine (200Mhz MMX Pentium) is stayed pegged at 50. The 300Mhz Pentium II
is supposed to be twice as fast as the 200Mhz MMX Pentium. I was expecting
load values in the 25-30 range.

This makes me think that there's some kernel resource that I was running out
of - that once I hit that limit, the kernel would get bogged down.

Joe