Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:14:00 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 06:32:36PM -0600, Jerry Dunham wrote:
> Mark Ovens babbled:
> > Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:40:41 +0000
> > From: Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
> > To: James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
> > Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > If you type ``:viusage'' it will give you a list of commands.
>
> Wow!  In all the years I've been using vi, I never ran across that one.
> I wonder whether there's any way to print that out to use as a cheat
> sheet.  Interestingly, that command doesn't work on this here IRIX box.

Nor on Suns. I think it's just on the FreeBSD and GNU/Linux versions.

> > Look in the editors section of the ports/pcakages, read the
> > descriptions, install one or more, try them out, then delete the
> > ones you don't like. This is not flippant answer; editors are a
> > real personal preference (religious wars are fought over vi versus
> > emacs) so only you can know which you consider a good choice for
> > your needs. Personally I use vi(1) all the time, even on Windows
> > boxes :)
>
> Ditto.  In fact, I have both vim and Lemmy on my NT notebook, and have
> found Lemmy to be the best implementation of vi I've tried yet.   Porting
> or cloning Lemmy to FreeBSD would be a Good Idea, but I can't program
> myself out of a wet paper bag.  Does anyone else here have any experience
> with Lemmy?

I did once e-mail the author, James Iuliano, and suggest this but
got no response ;) Mind you, gvim is a pretty good substitute.

> Oh, and Lemmy doesn't recognize :viusage.  I guess nothing's perfect.

Probably because it's a Windows program and has Windows help files

--
PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"