Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 09:30:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        pst@jnx.com (Paul Traina)
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drive density codes and block sizes...?

As Paul Traina wrote:

> What exactly do the density codes for my DDS2 (HP C1533A) tape drive mean?
> What density code do I want to be using?
>
> Present Mode:   Density = 0x24         Blocksize variable

The tape density modes that are known to mt(1) by name are those
mentioned in the SCSI-2 specs.  Since these specs are a little aging
these days, most modern drives needed additional mode values.

You normally don't want to change it.  I think the driver should
normally not even try to handle them at all, but always use the
default density and blocksize.  However, right now the driver insists
on always setting density and blocksize.  Half of our tape-drive
related `quirk' records would probably not really needed.

Things are a little different if you've for example got a QIC-24 (60
MB) cartridge in a QIC drive that would be misdetected as QIC-150, you
want to override the density value in this case for proper operation.
For DDS drives with the ``media recognition system'', the cassettes
are supposed to be detected properly.

Some HP guy told me that DOS software often uses fixed-length records
even for DAT.  So if you encounter such a tape, you might want to
adjust your tape driver, too.  Unixoides normally use variable-length
records however (wherever supported by the hardware, i.e. with QIC >=
525, DAT, Exabyte 8 mm etc.), so that's the default for these drives.

--
cheers, J"org