Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:30:42 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   TRANS: w3m instead of lynx for plain text from DocBook?

Folks,

Currently, the conversion path from DocBook to plain text consists of
producing a monolithic HTML file from the DocBook version, and then using
"lynx -dump" to produce plain text.  Not a particularly elegant solution,
and lynx has a few problems.  Chief among them is lynx's inability to handle
tables, which are used in a few places in the Handbook and other documents.

I've been playing with w3m (ports/www/w3m), which is a lynx replacement.
Apart from being somewhat nicer to use than lynx, and a quarter of the
size (231,244 bytes, versus 862,648 bytes), w3m also handles tables (and
even frames, which we don't use).

So I'm considering the following trivial patch to share/mk/doc.docbook.mk,
and an associated update to the textproc/docproj port dependencies.

[...]
 ${DOC}.txt: ${DOC}.html
-       lynx -nolist -dump ${.ALLSRC} > ${.TARGET}
+       w3m -S -dump ${.ALLSRC} > ${.TARGET}
[...]

The "-S" parameter just smashes multiple blank lines to 1.

Has anyone got any opinions on this one way or the other?  In particular,
I'd like to hear from the translation teams as to whether or not w3m's
-dump option works correctly for text in their locale.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell