Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 16:27:33 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: Quick question on syscons.c

>Syscons sets the keyboard control mode bits to be 0x4d.  Linux sets
>this to be 0x65.  On linux I know this is EKI + SYS + DMS + KCC.
>FreeBSD should be KCC + SYS + EKI + ???.

This magic is inherited from 386BSD-0.1 or earlier.  0x08 is "ignore
security lock".  See /sys/i386/isa/ic/i8042.h.  This file is no longer
used, but should be.

See also /sys/i386/isa/pcvt/pcvt_hdr.h, which also suffers from NIH and
defines all the keyboard bits with different, worse (longer yet more
more ambiguous) names.  pcvt has ifdefs to support the 4 possible values
of the security lock and scancode conversion bits.

See also the NetBSD pccons.c and i8042reg.h.  The 0x20 bit is to disable
the mouse according to NetBSD.  NetBSD doesn't disable the mouse or the
security lock, and it enables mouse interrupts.

>Can anybody comment on these differences and/or point me at a good and
>readily availble reference?  Is there a good reference for all the
>"esoteric" PC things: DMA, Timer chips, interrupts, etc?  I have the
>mindshare books, and those are good, as far as they go, but I need
>something better.

I haven't seen one :-(.  OTOH there are a lot of examples in source code.
See also the Linux keyboard driver... :-).

Bruce