Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 02:58:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Darrel Herbst)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   eide w/ >1024 cyl.

Hello, I didn't see anything about this in the FAQs, if anyone can help I'd
appreciate it.

I'm trying to get FreeBSD 2.0-950412-SNAP installed on my second HD - a
Seagate ST-5850 ata (eide controller).  The CMOS settings of the computer
show the correct number of cyl,head,sect - 1656,16,63.  The problem seems
to be that either the controller, or the disk itself is trying to play
some kind of trick so that the drive looks like it has less than 1024 cyl.
FreeBSD's (and Linux') fdisk shows the geometry to be half the number of
cyl, and 2x the number of heads.

Now, I think I installed the kernel with the boot/cpio floppies, but when
I try to boot the kernel from the seagate disk, it goes as far as mounting
root but aborts with this message: Can't handle 32heads from partition table
( controller value 16 restored) Panic, cannot mount root.

When it tries to recognize the drive, it lists it as: wd1: 1656C 16H ...

Anyone know how to handle this?   Thanks for your help and time!

dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu