Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 09:20:01 -0800
From:      roottcsh@alano.diatel.upm.es
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   misc/244: reading groups from YP causes core dumps in a client machine

>Number:         244
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       reading groups from YP causes core dumps in a client machine
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.0-RELEASE i386
>Environment:
YP/NIS is served by a machine running SunOS 4.1.1.
DES encryption is installed in the FreeBSD machine (from skeleton.mikom.csir.co.za).

If you enable group sharing under YP (that is, you add the special "+" group
entry to /etc/group), any process that attempts to get the
list of group ids of a user, dies with a core dump.

Note: enabling YP for user ids seems to work fine.

>How-To-Repeat:
After starting NIS (make /var/yp ; ypbind), append the following to /etc/group:
+:::

Now, attempt to login. It will core dump when starting up your session.
Or execute "id someone". It will core dump.
Or wait until cron executes atrun. atrun will core dump.

>Fix:
Not known.

The only thing I've done is get a stack dump of a process that dies because of
this:

The command executed is "id jmrueda". gdb reports:

Program received signal SIGSEGV (11), Segmentation fault
0x8055870 in strtol.so ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x8055870 in strtol.so ()
#1  0x80500cc in atoi.so ()