Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 22:38:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@transit.hanse.de>
To:        hm@kts.org
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Not quite an error message in layer3/i4b_q931.c

So,

finally, I'm taking my first steps with i4b, and already, I have a
smart-ass comment to make:

In layer3/i4b_q931.c, around line 358, an incoming SETUP message is
checked. If no or an invalid channel_id is presented, an error message is
logged.

This might seem quite right, but it isn't. An incoming SETUP without a
channel indication (Q.931, 4.5.13, octet 3, bits 2-1=00=no channel),
means, as per 5.2.3.2 b), that no B channel is available, and the
destination would need to disconnect or put on hold an existing
connection if it wants to accept the new connection. This feature is often
called "call waiting." (I don't have Q.953 available, so the details of
"call waiting" are unknown to me.) Alternatively, if the user doesn't
implement call waiting, it must respond with RELEASE COMPLETE, cause 34,
no channel available.

Sorry, I haven't delved into the code enought yet to provide a patch, but
I will try to.

Stefan